Network Freedom!'s Stance on Fan Funding!

Do you want Fan Funding under Freedom!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeMakes

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Dec 21, 2014
YouTube
fan funding is the only way for small channels to possibly make money considering 1,000views = roughly $1

AnimePlzzz

Fears Lack Of Toilet Paper
Freedom! Member
Dec 16, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
YouTube
Fan funding is a little touchy, the first question to ask though is; What is a small channel going to be able to use the money on, to actually help them grow?

Sure they could go buy a Google ad campaign, but at the end of the day, and odd $5 here and their donated by some generous penguin in Antarctica isn't going to be enough to actually make much of a difference for the channel.

On the other hand though, when someone donates money to a larger channel, they can be sure that enough is being pooled so that both the channel and the donor get something out of it. For instance more giveaways, new tech to be able to create better videos, or really anything along those lines.

That doesn't mean though that a smaller channel won't be able to do anything with it no matter what. I personally just think that before something like this is released for the partners at Freedom, you need to consider the whole scheme of things. Is it actually going to benefit all 130k+ channels, or is it only going to benefit 1/10000.

That is just my opinion on it.

- Thomas

Reactions: 8-Bit-Relic

Kitsumani

Female Let's Player, to the moon!
Freedom! Member
I would love to have Fan funding since Patreon tends to not really be a way that EVERYONE likes. Most people from what Ive seen just wanna place an amount whenever the heck they want to, at their own convinience instead of 'Oh I gotta donate this amount every month unless I stop it myself' like Patreon does.

Reactions: Riibob

Sir Jaxxy

Hello, Hello, Hello
Freedom! Member
It's not necessarily Freedom!'s fault that you can't use Fan Funding. It's not because we haven't activated it, it's simply not available to us because "any.TV Limited" is incorporated in Hong Kong. The only places that Fan Funding is available is:

Let it be known that we are trying to push YouTube to make it active for us, but at the end of the day it comes down to availability, and it will probably be active for some European countries(i.e France, UK & Germany) , before we get it.

This could be down to certain countries donation laws, or it simply may be down to how "in demand" it is.
Are you serious?

"It's not necessarily Freedom!'s fault"?

So it is not Georges fault that he incorporated in Hong Kong so that he could avoid US and/or Canadian tax laws?

"It's not necessarily Freedom!'s fault" that George then decided to do the majority of recruiting in North America?

"It's not necessarily Freedom!'s fault" that George made a video saying that as soon as Fan Funding was available to the partners he would make sure the network didn't block it?

Well according to YouTube my channels are eligible for Fan Funding but it seems Freedom!, thanks to their questionable business practices, is blocking it.

Reactions: KiCt27

Lydon Schembri

Helping Others!
Freedom! Member
Sep 22, 2014
Makin' Bacon!
YouTube
I don't need Fan Funding anyways, no one will ever donate me XD also fan funding will add more support countries so just be patient, Freedom! did right to incorporate in Hong Kong instead of those stupid Taxes on US

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
In fairness if Freedom would have to withheld taxes for a foreign state like the USA I wouldn't be here. I tax my stuff rather where I live.

The Fan funding is currently in more countries available and just a matter of time when it also comes to one of the biggest financial markets in the world, Hong Kong.

However, I can't see much benefits for small channels from it considering how often I have donated something to small online projects.

kidesha

Rising User
Jan 1, 2015
YouTube
Hello Freedom! Family,

A lot of you have been asking about YouTube's new service Fan Funding, and also why Freedom! Has not activated it yet. The reason for this is because Freedom! Is located in South East Asia and it's not currently on the list of countries that have this enabled. It will be hopefully soon! You can read more about this here:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6052077?hl=en-GB

We believe it has to be available where the MCN is formed. That way we can request activation for Fan Funding. :)

Let us know! Do you want Fan Funding activation under Freedom!?
i would love to have fan funding so i can get a better camera am currently using my phone and it sucks.

Buddy “Buddy1927” Walter

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Okay, I don't think Fan Funding is a very good thing to rely on for your money... I strongly suspect that you won't die from a lack of a dollar that one sub may or may not give you.

It will probably come to Freedom at some point, but if you are really getting your money for dinner from YouTube... Then I will suggest to go and get a job.

Anywhom, it will happen... We all know Freedom can be slow and slack some(all)times, hence our November balances and the new Dashboard... And Freedom Points... Come to think of it, anything which isn't promotion - but this isn't them. Google simply hasn't enabled the new funding programme in the Philippines, where Freedom are based.
That is not the point Freedom made video about Fan Funding and how great it will be. Now that it is out I can not use it due to Freedom not being in the area but I am in the area and been approved by YouTube. If Freedom will stop making videos about thing they can not provide to the partners I would not have made the comment. and I have received Emails form over 45 of my Subscriber wanting me to sign up for this not 1 subscriber but over 45 of mine own Subscribers have ask me to do this. At $5.00 x 45=$250 now that maybe not mean a lot to you but being on a fix income that does mean a lot me and will help me grow my channel. And if I can Grow my channel means I will make more money and I can get off of SSD and have some what of control of my life again. See I have worked for over 32 years earning a living and when I got injured at work to were I can not work again I loss control of my life. My YouTube channel helps me feel I am doing something other than just sitting around an do nothing like my doctor would like me to do. See I am pain 24/7 were I could lift patents that weighed 300 lbs now I not allowed to lift any thing over 5lbs a gallon of milk weighs out 8lbs and I can not lift that. So yes Fan Funding does mean a lot to me. I am a vary small channel but growing and any thing that will help grow my channel I need. By investing that money back into my channel will help me grow!

8-Bit-Relic

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 17, 2014
Ireland
YouTube
The whole fan funding was badly advertised by all involved parties. I live in Ireland and had barely got information directly by Google but others. I had never the impression that it wasn't a worldwide thing...

I assume that Freedom thought the same way or it was planned to be worldwide released but didn't got approval from all financial markets.

What ever it was or is Freedom won't be able to do much about it except asking the involved parties.

cdavbar

Owner - LERP
Freedom! Member
I personally think that YouTube's official fan-funding would be better versus a third party like Patreon, Gravipay, etc. What people do not realize is that even though you won't necissarily get rich off of Fan Funding, you will get some funds in addition to your monetization. The time it takes to record, edit, upload even a small video can be ridiculous. When you add in that some videos (at least on our channel) are showcasing other things that have taken a considerable amount of time to create.

Fan funding would be one more tool to fill the gap between what monetization covers and what it actually costs to make some of the videos.

Although I am sure that Freedom! has, however, if they haven't, maybe they could appeal to YouTube to open Fan Funding for those partners that are in eligible countries.

-cdavbar

Status
Not open for further replies.