Is there a bottleneck

rkraiem100

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2014
YouTube
rkraiem100
i was running a benchmark recently and i noticed the gpu wasnt running at 100%. the clock speed should be at around 1200-1300 but it was at 400-500 for some reason (not overclocked), i think it might be a bottleneck, what do u guys think:

cpu: intel i7 4770 3.4ghz quad core
gpu: nvidia gtx 960 4gb
ram: 16gb gaming ram (ddr3 1600)
psu: 550w
motherboard: asrock h97m pro 4
hd: seagate 7200rpm 1tb hybrid drive

thanks

TechGuruMax

Freedom! Member
Jan 30, 2016
YouTube
It really depends on the benchmark, the year it was released, and what it was benchmarking at the time. "Lets say" it was the latest release of the benchmark software AND it was specifically benchmarking your graphics card, AND it wasn't at 100% or even 80%, make sure your drivers are up to date. Maybe even go as far as seeing if there is a new BIOS update, you never know. I've run benchmarks all the time and looking at the GPU usage % is unreliable. Personally I look at temperatures and how much watts the computer is using to figure out how much of the GPU it's using. Good Luck!

rkraiem100

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Feb 20, 2014
YouTube
rkraiem100
It really depends on the benchmark, the year it was released, and what it was benchmarking at the time. "Lets say" it was the latest release of the benchmark software AND it was specifically benchmarking your graphics card, AND it wasn't at 100% or even 80%, make sure your drivers are up to date. Maybe even go as far as seeing if there is a new BIOS update, you never know. I've run benchmarks all the time and looking at the GPU usage % is unreliable. Personally I look at temperatures and how much watts the computer is using to figure out how much of the GPU it's using. Good Luck!
I was running firestrike in the 3d mark benchmark, all my drivers are up to date including the bios and the temps were around 40c since i set my gpu not to go above 50c. its a 550w psu so it should be more than enough, any ideas what it could be

Teen Tech

Rising User
Mar 28, 2016
Bottlenecking is a very vague term, and many people wioll argue whether it even exists or not. But it doesn't look like there's anything disperportionate about your system. It might be an issue with your benchmarking software. Try a different benchmark, and download a hardware monitoring software.

Terry Smith

Aug 31, 2015
YouTube
try disabling any sort of power saving feature in the nvidia control panel. i've seen that cause similar issues before.