YouTube Tags In Your Videos

Creative Myth

Respected User
Nov 5, 2016
YouTube
CreativeMyth
I usually have a problem with tags on my videos. I don't be knowing what tags to put and I don't want to put tags that don't relate or have nothing to do with my video. Can anyone provide some advice?

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
Hey man. So tags can be tricky but here are some rules you should keep in mind.

1 - Don't use singular tags (ex: Gaming, Youtube, let's play, etc.) There are way too many searches in relation to the one word tag. Think of tags of terms you would use when searching on Youtube.
2 - Use as many as you can and try to fill the limit.
3 - Use terms that happen in the game. (ex: say you kick a frog during the gameplay, put in the tags *kicking frogs*, *kicked a frog*, *What happens when kcking a frog in (game name)*)

Stuff like that,
So let's use one of your videos as an example:
Dying Light Challenge Series: Part 1
Some tags could be:
Dying Light Challenges, Dying Light Challenge Series, Part 1 of Dying Light Challenges, Challenges in Dying Light, Dying Light game, Dying light challenges with Commentary, Dying Light Running Challenge, Dying Light Killing Challenge, Failing In Dying Light Challenges, Succeeding in Dying Light Challenges. Creative Myth Dying Light Challenges, Creative Myth Plays Dying Light, Etc.

Try and make it specific search term is how I always look at it. If someone was to search for a challenge on that game, think of what they would type to search for it. And also, try and keep the video title, and tags similar that way your Meta Data is better when it comes to search results.

I hope this helped.

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
1 - Don't use singular tags (ex: Gaming, Youtube, let's play, etc.) There are way too many searches in relation to the one word tag. Think of tags of terms you would use when searching on Youtube.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Using singular tags help! Also two to 3 word tags help too.
For example that you shared you can do:
Dying, Light, Challenge, Series, Dying Light, Light Challenge, Challenge Series

I have been social media video marketing for over the past 2 years by studying and testing new things and learning from big YouTube creator friends that do social media full time.

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
I have to disagree with you on this one. Using singular tags help! Also two to 3 word tags help too.
For example that you shared you can do:
Dying, Light, Challenge, Series, Dying Light, Light Challenge, Challenge Series

I have been social media video marketing for over the past 2 years by studying and testing new things and learning from big YouTube creator friends that do social media full time.

I was just going off of what I've been told and that many singular tags have a much larger search results than more specific tags. But again, I'm going off what I've been told. If they are helpful than fantastic. I've been using them myself. Lol

RyanSellers

Freedom! Celebrity
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Dec 6, 2014
Provo, UT, USA
www.ryansellers.co
YouTube
I was just going off of what I've been told and that many singular tags have a much larger search results than more specific tags. But again, I'm going off what I've been told. If they are helpful than fantastic. I've been using them myself. Lol
Only use like 5 singular tags at most is what I recommend. That is what I've learned from one of the biggest video marketing conferences.

Last edited:

Alienskii

Respected User
Mar 19, 2015
YouTube
I always thought to add larger tags especiallly as tubebuddy and a lot of marketing youtubers tell you to do that these days. I'm sure adding singular tags wont hurt though